Currently the manufacturers of orthodontic material offer us a wide variety of braces for all types of orthodontic treatments. There are several factors that influence when choosing the most suitable braces: material, type of treatment to be performed (preventive, interceptive and corrective), aesthetics of the patient ...
For a dental clinic today, it is vital to be aware of the different options that exist to be able to offer their patients the most appropriate treatment. It is also necessary to understand that not all patients have the same needs and attention must be paid to their claims: aesthetics, mechanical capabilities, price ...
For what and how are braces utilized?
Braces are the dental materials most used in treatments to correct bite problems, dental crowding, closing spaces between teeth and aligning teeth ... among many others.
The braces are placed individually in each tooth and are joined by an orthodontic arch. The braces have a slot through which the arch passes and some fins where the system that links the arch is placed. The pressure that the braces and the arches exert on the teeth, get a fast and effective correction of the position of the tooth. Each dental piece is assigned a specific brace, and depending on the treatment the brace can be accompanied by attachments.
Types of braces
We can classify the braces in two main ways: according to the shape of the brace or according to the material
Types of braces according to the shape:
The arch is linked by rubber bands or ligatures around the four tips of the brace that exert light forces that allow the teeth to move. These gums can be colored for metallic or transparent braces
Instead of rubber or elastic, they contain a special clamp adapted with a screw to be hooked to the bow.
If we analyze the braces according to their material, we can list the following:
The Metallic braces are used in conventional orthodontics, offer great resistance throughout the treatment as well as being cheaper than new materials that arise.Advantages of metallic braces:
- Great resistance from metallic material
- They can be pasted as many times as necessary
- Linked and autolinked
- Easy to clean since the possible remains of food or dirt are more visible in metal parts
- Short term treatment
- These types of braces are more economical
- Ortho Technology Lotus Plus self-ligating metal braces: The Lotus Plus Braces are the self-ligating metallic Braces from Ortho Tecnology. They have an excellent quality / price ratio and will meet the needs of both the patient and the orthodontist.
- Mini Thino metallic bracket from Orho Technology: These braces stand out for its small size (providing better aesthetics and comfort to the patient) without losing the mechanical qualities of metal braces.
The following braces of the list, although they are all of different materials, are also known as aesthetic braces. These braces fulfill the same function as the metal ones; however, its distinctive parameter is to contribute to the aesthetic improvement of the patient during orthodontic treatment since it has a color similar to that of the natural tooth.
The placement of these orthodontic pieces is similar to that of metal brackets. The small pieces of ceramic are glued to the teeth, joined by a wire of very resistant and durable composite material. It tends to be said that ceramic brackets are less resistant and can break more easily than metal brackets. However, these pieces are designed and treated in an effective way for use in this type of treatments.
Advantages of Ceramic braces
- More aesthetic and discreet
- More comfortable as to not irritate the patients gums
- Made of material strong enough that they should not break.
- Braided ceramic braces Rato de Astar Orthodontics .
- Complete case of self-ligured ceramic braces by Ortho Technology
- Complete case of ceramic brackets with ROTH metallic slot by Medicaline
The composite bracket is characterized by its white color, which comes to blend with the color of the natural tooth, providing a great resistance that allows to perform all the necessary movements. It is an orthodontic option that satisfies those patients for whom aesthetic appeal is paramount.
Advantages of composite braces
- Orthodontic braces are very effective
- Made of resin
- Affordable price
- OrthoFlex Composite Braces by Ortho Technonlogy.
- Complete case of Avalon braces with metallic groove by Ortho Technonlogy.
The sapphire are currently one of the most advanced techniques of orthodontics and are considered the most aesthetic. Made of sapphire crystal, they have a transparent appearance that convinces those patients who are most concerned with aesthetics during treatment.
The combination of zirconium powder with sapphire allows the transparency characteristic of this type of brackets to be present throughout the orthodontic treatment.
How are these braces used? Once the glass is polished until it has achieved a rounded shape, soft and comfortable for the patient, the brackets are placed on the teeth and are very well fixed thanks to the zirconium powder coating that forms millions of cuts under the bracket adhesive.
Advantages of sapphire braces
- Bracket more aesthetic thanks to the transparency that presents
- Reduced wearing of braces
- They don't get as dirty as the others
- Very comfortable for the patient
- Complete case Roth Sapphire Braces by Medicaline.
- Complete Case Brackets Sapphire Pure by Ortho Technology.
We hope this post will help you easily distinguish the types of brackets available and their main differences. At Dentaltix we are continuously adding new products to our catalog, so be sure to visit our section of Orthodontic materials or our offers of the month!.