As with other materials, dental adhesives also come in a variety of brands. Which one to choose? As we know that it can be difficult to decide, at Dentaltix we are going to talk about Kuraray adhesives and the elements that differentiate it from other brands.
On this occasion we have Santos, an expert in Kuraray brand products. Talking about adhesives, we decided to highlight the clearfil SE Bond 2 and Clearfil Bond Quick adhesives, what differentiate them from other brands and their main characteristics.
Adherence in the dental world
Before we can start talking about adhesives, the best thing to do is to know what adhesion is and to be able to understand why one product is better than another.
What is adhesion? It is the union of 2 surfaces by means of an interface force, a force that can be micromechanical or chemical.
If the adhesion is the union of 2 surfaces, dental adhesives join the dental, ceramic or metallic surface with the restorative material allowing the restoration of the dental pieces. The tooth surface can be of two types:
- Enamels: They are extremely hard, one of the hardest materials in the human body. Their composition is 95% inorganic material, 0.2% organic matter, and barely 4.8% water. Moreover, its surface is not homogeneous.
- Dentine: It is softer, without ceasing to be the 2 hardest tissue of the human body. And it is composed of 68% inorganic matter, 22% organic matter, and 10% water. Unlike glazes, its surface is homogeneous.
It is important to know how to differentiate these types of surface in order to choose the adhesion system that we will use.
The adhesive techniques are carried out before the restoration procedure, thus being a necessary practice in dental clinics. With the technological advance in restorative dentistry we can find several systems of adhesion, we highlight 2 techniques. In both systems there are 3 fundamental components: demineralization of the tooth, penetration of the tooth, application of adhesive..
Sistemas de adhesión:
- Engraving + washing: First the surface is engraved with acid, then washed and dried, leaving the dentite semi-dry and semi-wet before applying the adhesive. The use of this process is recommended for enamel surfaces. When a cavity is removed a smear is generated, this smear must be removed. First it must be eliminated in order to apply orthophosphoric acid.
- Self-etching: The application of the adhesive directly to the surface, facilitating the work of the dentist and reducing work time. This process is recommended for dentine surfaces. This process depends a lot on the doctor and is very conditioning, makes it difficult to look good. In this case, when the caries is removed and the dentin smear is generated, the self-etchings encapsulate it and penetrate it into the dentin tubes.
With the processes of adhesion is sought to achieve 2 factors: a high power of adhesion and that the patient has no sensitivity.
Once the adhesive has been applied, the light from the light-curing lamp must be applied. Depending on the polymerization lamp we use may take between 10 and 15 seconds, after that time will apply the composite. The final time of the whole process will vary according to the technique we use, if it is engraving and washing will take approximately 1 minute, while if we use the technique of auto-engraving are only 35-45 seconds, being more comfortable for the patient and the dentist.
Kuraray advises self-etching, because it reduces time, possible errors, avoids sensitivities, and favours adhesion.
There are 2 types of adhesives that stand out in Kuraray. What are they and why do you recommend them?
- Clearfil SE Bond 2 adhesive. Self-etching. It is a 2-step system, where we have two cans, one with acid, and another can containing adhesive resin. As it is a self-etching process it would not be necessary to wash, making it easier for the professional to get the technique right and avoiding sensitivities in the patient. The procedure of using these products is very simple, first apply the acid and dry without washing, once dry apply the adhesive again to dry and apply the light. It does not crystallize or evaporate.
- Clearfil Bond Quick Adhesive. Universal. With this adhesive you can use any technique. It contains all 3 components in one canister (acid, primer and adhesive resin). The universal name is given because you can do a total engraving on dentin and enamel, or a selective engraving on enamel. This product is indicated for several uses: cavity sealing as pre-treatment for indirect restorations, treatment of exposed root surfaces, treatment of hypersensitive teeth, direct restorations using light-curing composite resin, intraoral repair of fractured restorations, post cementation and core build-up, cementation of indirect restorations.
Advantages of Kuraray adhesives over other brands:
Its acidic component is the MDP component (methacryloxy decil dihydrogen phosphate), a phosphate monomer that chemically binds with the natural hydroxyapatite of the tooth and on the other hand binds ceramics and metals very well.
What sets them apart and makes them stand out is that their adhesives are more resistant. In order to find out if theirs had greater adhesion, they decided to do an experiment. First it must be taken into account that in the self-etching adhesives there are several components (acidic component, first, solvent ...), to carry out the test they decided to take different drops of several adhesives and waited 24 hours, verified that these components are decomposing, less in the kuraray that remains stable thanks to the high molecular dispersion providing greater adhesion power and less postoperative sensitivity virtually null. This component (MDP) can be found in both SE Bond 2 and Bond Quick.
Bond Quick adhesive, in addition to doing everything in one step, is reinforced with amide monomers, the monomers allow us to apply the adhesive penetrate the tubes faster and not have to rub for 10 or 15 seconds, but for 3 or 4 seconds (depending on the clinical case).
Let's hope this article has helped you learn more about kuraray adhesives, helping you choose the adhesive that best suits your needs. If you liked it, you can learn more about Kuraray's adhesives by visiting this article: Kuraray Dental Adhesives: their characteristics and products..
In Dentaltix you will find several dental adhesives to compare between different brands (3M,GC, Kulzer...). If you have any doubt, do not hesitate to contact us, we will be at your disposal. If you liked this article share it in your social networks, and comment your experience with Kuraray stickers, as well as let us know which you prefer and why.