In our previous article What are the most popular dental cements by 3M?? we talk about the 3M's most recognized cement lines, the importance of why to make a good cementing and the advantages offered by this type of materials. In this article, Alfredo Liñana from 3M tells us in detail about the advantages, advices, and uses for these cement lines.
Ketac Cem Plus Automix
Ketac Cem Plus offers a highly developed dispensing formula: is a glass ionomer with resin, containing all the advantages of an ionomer (high adhesion) and avoiding short sealing periods. Its simple and effective handling makes it a favourite. It is easy to remove with a light blow, its color is white between A1 and A2 and its Automix format with mixing tip generates a perfect mixture. It has a very high strength and it is recommended to be applied in:
- Metal or porcelain inlays.
- Endodontic posts and metal orthodontic materials.
Some of the main characteristics of this cement are:
- Simple and hygienic handling.
- It can be mixed with paste easily.
- Advanced technology regarding its formula.
How to apply Ketac Cem Plus Automix:
- We apply the cement in the restoration that we want to cement, then we will have a leftover part and as it is a self-setting cement (chemical reaction) after 5 minutes it becomes completely set.
- Includes an advantage: It sets by light blow. If we generate 5 seconds of light, these leftovers will remain in a gel state, allowing us to remove all the leftovers in a more comfortable way.
- Then, with the spatula we remove the excess and let the cement set for 5 minutes.
In addition, this helps us to better preserve the natural state, a simpler use and a very good clinical aesthetics. Ketac Cem Plus is one of the most widely used glass ionomer cements in the world.
RelyX Unicem 2 Automix
RelyX Unicem 2 Automix is a self-adhesive resin cement. Its brilliant quality and performance make it easy to use, available in Clicker dispenser or Automix syringe. It has been 18 years since its launch and it works excellently. There are even clinical studies that support the success of its cementation.
One of its advantages is that its Ph is totally neutral even after a long time.
- Ceramic can fragment due to water sorption.
- Reduced color options.
- Low adhesion degree.
- Layer thickness of 13 µm.
What are the recommended uses for RelyX Unicem 2 Automix?
It is a cement capable of cementing practically any restoration with two exceptions in the clinic:
- Maryland Bridges.
This is due to the shear force of the previous elements. This cement works very well with compression and traction but in the case of veneers or Maryland bridges there is an exception, as it does not work as well. However, at 3M there are alternatives such as RelyX Ultimate for these cases.
How do you start using it? It is simple:
- First we dispense the cement allowing it to flow and we should get some leftovers. As it contains dual-setting (by light or with 5 minutes of waiting time), a blow of light (1 second) can be applied to the excess to achieve the gel state and be able to remove it.
- There is then the possibility to apply 20 seconds of light or to let it set for 25 minutes. What is the ideal state for perfect setting? Wait 2 and a half minutes for the chemical reaction to set and then apply 20 seconds of light.
It is also possible to cement fiber posts or metal posts effortlessly by directly dispensing and filling the entire channel. All we have to do is take the post to the right place:
- If it is a metal post; wait for the chemical setting reaction.
- If it is a fibre post; wait 2 and a half minutes and then 20 seconds of light.
RelyX Ultimate is a classic resin cement with an industry-leading bond strength that requires fewer steps. It is characterized by:
- Natural fluorescence.
- Leading initiator technology.
- High wear resistance.
- Shorter working time.
- Color stability.
- Layer thickness of 12 µm.
- Increases the strength of the ceramic.
How to use RelyX Ultimate:
On one side, as it is a classic resin, it can be used with all types of materials but always taking into account a previous adhesion protocol. Before using it, an adhesive must be used and this is where Scotchbond Universal: comes in: The dental adhesives are of the light setting type and a second element is needed to convert them. With Scotchbond, the double-setting process is obtained because RelyX Ultimate contains chemical setting activator for Scotchbond Universal.
On the other side, we start to cement using adhesive for 20 seconds on the desired surfaces, as well as using it on the tooth surface at the same time. This adhesive must be light cured, taking care of the prosthesis' adjustments.
Should we light-cure the adhesive on the tooth? It is not a good idea: light would not cross our prosthesis, the cement and the adhesive. It is advisable to light-cure the adhesive on the tooth or use RelyX Ultimate which will cure the adhesive in both places, so that we do not need to light-cure the adhesive on the tooth and guarantee that there is no displacement.
- Once the adhesive has been applied, leave 10 seconds to wait for the solvent to evaporate and wait for the adhesive to become homogeneous.
- RelyX Ultimate and its Automix mixing tips are then used to dispense the cement into the crown to be cemented.
- The leftover part is exposed to light for 1 second to obtain the gel state.
- Then it is polymerized.
RelyX Ultimate shows maximum cementing strength with only one layer of cement for perfect prosthetics.
¿ Why should you use 3M’s lines of cements?
Good cementation means a job well done and a satisfied patient. That's why 3M has developed these products, which have excellent bonding strength and high performance: from glass ionomers to resins and fiberglass posts.
We hope this article has helped you learn more about this range of cements. Don't forget to take a look at our blog and our Youtube channel where we have other videos with the entire 3M cement range... and much more!
Keep informed of the latest news, promotions and offers and share it through your social networks. Don't forget to follow us!