Surely, the ultrasound device is one of the most used equipment in the dental clinic and if it is damaged is quite a nuisance. From Dentaltix we want to help you: What can you do to avoid dental ultrasound failures?.
We've invited Alejandro from Rumar to share with us about special ultrasounds, some recommendations to take into account to connect your handpiece to the ultrasound device in which we detail the type of hose connections of the handpieces, and also which tips are used for one type of ultrasound or another.
What kind of ultrasonic handpiece connections are there?
The first thing we need to know is that every ultrasonic manufacturer uses a connection system between "hose - handpiece" and between "handpiece - ultrasonic tips" and these parts are not interchangeable with products of other brands.
In addition, each manufacturer has at least two connections: one with light and one without light, but there are dental homes such as Kavo or Sirona that even have more than one connection depending on the model. Mainly, he tells us that you cannot use a handpiece with a different hose than the one for which it was originally designed. For this reason, it is important to be clear what ultrasound device you have in your dental clinic if you want to exchange handpiece and ultrasound tip make sure that they are compatible, because if they are not, they may damage the device, handpiece or tips.
When you buy the ultrasound, the handpiece will come as a complement and you don't need to look for the piece separately. But if you want some extra handpiece, for example to replace while sterilizing the one you used or because its useful life has already come to an end, then it is important that you know the type of ultrasound device.
The most common systems used in the Spanish market are SATELEC and EMS. In Rumar and Dentaltix we have:
- The DTE line compatible with Satelec. One of the best handpieces valued by our customers and available both with and without light, is the Utrasound DTE D5
- The Woodpecker line that is compatible with EMS The handpiece of this line best valued by our customers is the HW-3H ultrasonic handpiece. .
What is the connection between the handpiece and the ultrasonic tip?
SATELEC ultrasonic tips have the same thread regardless of whether the device is with or without light.In the same way, the EMS tips with or without light do not vary in terms of thread. However, there are exceptions in some dental homes, such as Kavo or Sirona where the thread is unique for each particular model. So the recommendation is to be careful when selecting the ultrasound tip to buy, bearing in mind that the more exclusive, the higher the price and the difficulty of finding compatible parts.
In the case of Satelec and EMS, being brands with a greater presence in the market, it is affordable to find compatible spare parts and pieces. Satelec has a connection for all its handpieces and in the same way, EMS also has a connection for all its handpieces. But keep in mind that the Satelec and EMS tips are different from each other, they are not compatible and in addition the threads you will not be able to differentiate them with the naked eye, if we observe, several tips together you will not be able to differentiate them without paying close attention to the engraving.
9 tips for placing the ultrasound tip on the handpiece:
Among the main recommendations that you should take into account to avoid breakdowns in dental ultrasounds we have:
- You may not use a handpiece with a hose other than the one for which it was originally designed.
- Know what type of handpiece and ultrasound tip you have in your dental practice. If you have another compatible device, it will make it easier for you to exchange them.
- Having several handpieces available and compatible with the same device will allow you to sterilize the one you used and replace it to start another treatment in a short time.
- If you have different brands of ultrasound tips... Beware! Identifying them or storing them in different places will help you and prevent you from using them and damaging the handpiece.
- Before placing the tip on the handpiece, first make sure that the tip you are going to insert corresponds to the handpiece, then place it on the torque wrench and screw it in.
- To change the tips ALWAYS use a torque wrench
- When screwing it in, the turn should not be so strong that the tip and passes over the axis of the handpiece fit too tightly, or so weak that it comes out in the patient's mouth when the vibration starts.
- DO NOT use the fixed endodontic tips (endoshock wrench) to adjust the handpiece because you run the risk of over-tightening or missing the correct adjustment..
- In the case of tips that are very large in the active part such as endodontics, use the lateral access torque wrench, as they avoid the high part of the tip and screw into the handpiece with precision.
We hope you find this article on equipment maintenance helpful. And, of course, visit our category of ultrasounds and inserts.
Share with us your experiences when buying or using ultrasounds and if you have other tips or recommendations to avoid dental ultrasound failures that you put into practice in your dental clinic, do not hesitate to write to our social networks. Also, discover useful tips in our post, participate and learn with other comments and suggestions from our community. We wait for you!