In addition to the famous Filtek Universal, 3M ESPE Do you know the complete range of Filtek products? This range has the new Filtek Supreme Fluid and Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid, fluid composites of the new generation of composites, of which we will speak to you on this occasion.
For this, we had the pleasure to talk in one of our chats held in Instagram Live, with Ana Andrés, clinical specialist from 3M, who also presented us a new dispenser, which has the capacity to reduce to zero the appearance of any bubble and has a more comfortable design, which facilitates the work.
Source: 3M internal data
Physical-Mechanical Properties of Filtek Supreme Fluid and Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid:
Both fluid composites, like the rest of Filtek composites, have the nano-filler technology. This type of filler provides the material with certain physical-mechanical properties:
- Excellent adaptation.
- They are characterized for providing an exceptional polishing and for maintaining it in the time.
- The surface always appears like a mirror thanks to the nanoparticles.
- They are wear resistant.
- They can be heated up to 70°C (158°F) for up to 1 hour, with a maximum of 25 times. Therefore it can be used in the injection technique.
Filtek fluid composites indications:Source: 3M internal data
The main uses of both models are very similar, among them are:
- Minimally Invasive Dentistry (MDI). Including small cavities without occlusal stress.
- Pit and fissure sealant.
- Indirect repair. (small defects in enamel for example)
- Repair of acrylic or composite resin storms
- Filling of undercuts.
- Blocking of retention areas.
- Cavity base underneath restorative materials
- For Class III and IV you can use Filtek Fluid.
- Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid is ideal for Class III and V.
Differences between Filtek Supreme Fluid and Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid
Although the two Filtek new generation fluid composites share the same applications and maintain their composition, there are characteristics that differentiate them from each other:
- The Filtek Supreme Fluid can be placed in thicknesses of 2 mm, while the model Bulk Fill, can be used in layers of up to 4 mm
- With regard to its use, the Supreme Fluid is convenient to use in class IV, while the Bulk Fill Fluid can be used for class V and core builds.
But, what is the novelty of 3M's fluid composites? . Its dispensing syringe, which deserves to detail all its attributes. We will do it later.
3M™ Filtek™ Supreme Fluid
Composite dispensed in an innovative syringe that eliminates bubbles, easy to inject, and covers several different indications and techniques (including injected composite).
- It has 2 mm depth of polymerization.
- This Filtek produces 12 shades, which have been manufactured to match Filtek Universal and Filtek Supreme XTE.
- Formed by the resins: bisGMA, TEGDMA, Procrylat
- The filling in this fluid is formed by 65% in weight and 46% in volume.
- In addition, it is composed of nanospherical particles:
- Silica (particles of 20 and 75 nm).
- Zirconia (4-11 nm)
- Ytterbiun Trifluoride (0.1 to 5.0 microns).
3M™ Filtek™ Bulk Fill Fluid
Block placement fluid restorer with a dispensing system that eliminates bubbles and with an excellent performance.
- This fluid is injectable in thicknesses up to 4 mm of polymerization depth.
- It is characterized by low polymerization shrinkage stress.
- Available in 4 tones: A1, A2, A3 and Universal.
- Formed by the resins: bisGMA, TEGDMA, Procrylat.
- The filling is composed of 64.5% by weight, 42.5% by volume.
- Zirconia or Silica (0.01 to 3.5 micron particle)
- Ytterbiun Trifluoride (0.1 to 5.0 microns) for radiopacity.
Filtek Supreme Fluid and Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid Dispenser
The novelty offered by these types of fluids is that they have a dispenser more ergonomic and aesthetic, which will give you very good clinical advantages and produce improvements to the fluid dispensing system.
Filtek Supreme Fluid and Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid dispenser parts
The design plays a very important role, because thanks to it, great improvements have been obtained. In this occasion, the design is much more homogeneous and we can differentiate two parts:
- On the one hand, the mixing tip is rounded and has a malleable cannula, that is, you can easily bend it, allowing easy handling and greater control. Click on the following link if you would like to purchase Filtek Supreme Fluido mixing tips. If you are looking for the mixing tips for Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid click here.
- It is resistant to torsion, facilitating you the access to difficult areas (as for example it could be in the technique of injection.
- Reduces bubbles and material loss..
- The other end of the dispenser is characterized by a triangular and concave shape. This allows a good adaptation of the fingers in the grip, which provides greater security when you perform the work.
- The stem indicates the volume of material available, by the difference in color that occurs when the material is finished, so that you can speed up your treatments.
Filtek Supreme Fluid and Filtek Bulk Fill Fluid dispenser features
These new improvements in the design, lead to highlight some features:
- Increase of the comfort, since it presents a greater area and facilitates the adaptation.
- Reduction of the pressure exerted by the hand.
- Elimination of air particles. The new syringe has some air release channels, when the material is introduced, all the air is expelled through these channels.
- It has a visual indicator, because once you dispose all the material, the plunger stops, which means that the syringe is empty and you have to replace the material.
- Anti-rotation" design. This improvement incorporates in the dispenser a triangular base, which serves as a support once the work is done to deposit the dispenser on a flat surface.
As indicated above, heat the composite, this provides benefits and saves time. In spite of varying the temperature of the material, it will maintain the same physical properties of other composites:
- Diametric traction force.
- Deflection force.
- Depth of polymerization.
- Module of elasticity
- Color stability.
Why heat 3M composites?
- Heated composites flow better.
- They provide better adaptation to the tooth surface, which makes your work easier.
- The extrusion force is reduced.
Tricks for the heating
- It is convenient that you use specific equipment to heat the composite.
- We recommend that you use a heater that is approved by the manufacturer of your preference.
- Consult the instructions for more information, whenever necessary.
- Always keep in mind the maximum heating temperature, 70ºC.
This generation has come strong, as new improved models appear with which we say goodbye to the bubbles and salute the efficiency and comfort. What do you think about these new models? Do you dare to try them?
If you liked this article, share it and follow us on our social networks to keep up to date with all the news.