In the dental clinic you use many instruments on a daily basis that allow you to carry out treatments effectively and quickly. And do you know which one of the pieces of equipment is responsible for making many others work, such as turbines or dental equipment? It's the dental compressor!
Next we are going to tell you what the function of an air compressor is for your dental clinic, what are the types that exist and what to take into account when purchasing one. Do not lose detail!
The dental compressor: what is its function?
The dental compressor has the function of producing compressed air that is stored in a high pressure tank so that it can be used at any time. This air is subsequently carried to the dental equipment through tubes designed for this purpose. Dental compressors consume electrical energy to produce this compressed air, and must have sufficient power to generate compressed air faster than we consume it in the dental clinic.
- Compressors are used in many fields (industry, automotive, etc.) but compressors for dental clinics have unique hygiene and air quality specifications, so only dental compressors should be used in clinics.
- The dental compressor is "the lung", and one of the main tools of the clinic, since with it we carry out most of the treatments. In addition, it is one of the elements that can give us the most problems if we do not choose the right model and do the maintenance it needs.
- In the market we have many types of dental compressors, of different sizes, prices and origins. It is good to know them in order to choose the most suitable one.
Types of dental compressors:
Dry dental compressors (oil free)
To carry out dental treatments, clean air without contamination is needed. For this reason, modern compressors for dental clinics are always oil-free or dry compressors.
- Dry compressors must have great precision in manufacturing. This, together with the fact that their cylinders and pistons are coated with a self-lubricating material, means that there is practically no wear and no residue is generated that ends up in the compressed air.
Dental Compressors with Air Dryer
- Dental compressors take air from the environment to later compress it and store it in a tank. This air always has a percentage of humidity, which depending on the place is usually more or less high.
- By compressing the air, it reduces its ability to carry moisture, and if it was high, it can condense on the walls of the tank, the compressor. If this is the case, we should regularly empty the compressor tank of water.
How to choose the best dental compressor for our clinic?
There are several questions that we must ask ourselves before buying a dental compressor, in order to choose the most suitable one.
➜Dry or oil-lubricated compressor?
To install it in a dental clinic, you should definitely choose a dry compressor, since the quality of the air produced will be much higher.
➜Compressor with air dryer or without air dryer?
- If the relative humidity of the air is high, for example, in coastal locations, we should choose a compressor with an air dryer, since without it, the compressor will give us many problems of water condensation inside.
- If we are in a place with a very low relative air humidity, we can do without the air dryer and save something on the purchase of the compressor. However, the dryer is something that always benefits the compressor, and will make the compressor less maintenance.
➜What size compressor should I choose?
The maximum pressure supplied by dental clinic compressors will always be similar regardless of the size of the compressor we choose, since the equipment always works at similar pressures. Instead, the air flow produced by the compressor will vary.
We must choose a compressor that has the capacity to produce, at least, the same air flow consumed by the dental equipment that will work simultaneously. And you? What do you think about choosing the right compressor? Do not hesitate to share your experience with us! And if you want to discover the entire range of air compressors, at Dentaltix you have it!
Remember to follow us on our social networks to stay informed of all the news, trends, offers and promotions that we offer from Dentaltix for dental professionals like you, who love to be updated as much as we do in terms of technology. Follow us! We will wait for you.