One of the most frequently asked questions patients ask after their teeth whitening treatment is what they can and cannot eat post treatment. 24 hours after a whitening treatment your teeth will look as bright and white as can be. At the same time your teeth will be ready to absorb the colors of any of the foods and drinks you plan on consuming. This is because the whitening treatment makes the tooth enamel more porous and likely to absorb much more pigment than they should. Below we take a look at some foods that should be avoided following a teeth whitening treatment.
WHAT TO AVOID AFTER A WHITENING TREATMENT:
- Beverages that can stain your teeth or that would have a darkening impact such as coffee, black tea, red wine and colored fruit juices, soft drinks and alcohol.
- Foods that are naturally vibrant in color and can stain your teeth such as red meat, soy sauce (and those similar), bolognaises, chocolate, curry, foods with colorful spices, powdered cheese flavorings, balsamic vinegar and all fruit excepting bananas.
- Smoking with in the first 24 hours of your treatment. If that is not possible for then try to just limit the number of cigarettes you have, you will not regret it.
- Colored toothpastes (usually red or blue toothpastes) or mouth washes for at least 24 hours after treatment.
If it does so happen that you do accidently consume one of the above products do not panic just yet there is still a chance to change the outcome. Rinse your mouth out and brush your teeth immediately in order to remove whatever pigments are left behind and replace whatever you were eating or drinking with something from the list below.
WHAT IS SAFE TO CONSUME:
- ‘White foods’ which include items such as white meats, pastas, breads and sauces.
- Bananas, interestingly this is because bananas have a high level of potassium and magnesium which can actually help remove stains and keep teeth whiter for longer.
- Clear spirits and alcohols such as gin, white wine or vodka.
- White cheese, this too is believed to be good for your teeth and alleviating dental conditions such as gum disease due to its high calcium content.
Taking care of your teeth particularly in the first 24 hours after your treatment by avoiding certain foods and beverages will keep your teeth looking brighter and whiter for a longer period of time. Although it may seem like a challenge to avoid some of the outlined foods and drinks, it will be so worth it.
Do not forget to share this useful information on what to avoid after a whitening treatment.