A successful endodontic treatment from the very first time, and therefore no reendontic treatment is necessary, is the ideal goal of every endodontist. It allows us to save time, material and, in addition, we avoid a lot of discomfort for the patient.
In this article, we tell you what instruments to use to perform endodontic treatments safely to ensure the best chances of success in treatment and also review the procedure in case of endodontic failure.
Successful endodontic treatment from the first time
Endodontic treatment, also called endodontic therapy, is practiced when the pulp of the tooth or ligament becomes inflamed, but also in case of infections such as caries when the pulp is infected or in case of abscesses.
These problems are much more common than we think of patients. However, it is easy to detect an inflammation or infection of the tooth that could lead to endodontic treatment..
The signs of an endodontic problem are:
- Pain during chewing and increased sensitivity to heat/cold
- Tooth discoloration
- Swelling of the gums or face
- Ganglions or fever
The stages of an endodontic treatment
Let's quickly remember the steps of an endodontic treatment::
- Preoperative X-ray
- Preparation of the operative field
- Realization of the access cavity
- Follow-up and catheterization of the canals
- Definition of working length with X-ray verification
- Channel format
- Closing the channel
- Verification of works via radiography
If these steps are followed correctly, root canal treatment should be performed in good condition and with a good recovery.
However, failure to follow these steps can cause serious complications for your patient and make them suffer more. In addition, it should be noted that reprocessing is not possible, so this could result in tooth extraction.
The best instruments for safe endodontics!
At Dentaltix we offer products from our catalogue that might interest you and allow you to work efficiently.
- First of all, it is necessary to protect the work area through isolation and for this we have the best dental damson the market: Nictone dams.
- A good opening of the root canal begins with a powerful turbine and a drill adapted to the patient's case, depending on whether an amalgam or a crown has already been placed.
- It is important to lclean the duct after each step of the file to avoid external contamination. For this we recommend the hypochlorite Dentaflux
- Finally, we offer the best file of the market that are of the brand VDW. Reciproc Blue which are flexible and therefore offer a reduced risk of breakage.
What to do in case of endodontic failure?
Endodontics is a complex practice and, despite the precautions you can take, treatment failure can occur! In this case, endodontic reprocessing will be required. What are the peculiarities of endodontic reprocessing and how to manage it?
Manage patients who come for re-endodontics
In the case of endodontic treatment failure, patients will come from a bad experience, so you must be more understanding when explaining and giving solutions. In fact, facing a new patient knowing that he or she has experienced that experience can cause reticence and fear. That's why it's important to listen to your patient and empathize with him. A new endodontic treatment can not only be a physically difficult process for a patient, but also mentally. In that case, you have to be able to prepare him psychologically and, for that, you have to have a good preparation in this matter.
The steps to follow for endodontic reprocessing
- Placement of existing equipment on the patient
- The unblocking of the pre-treatment
- Access to channels
- After disinfection and cleaning, the filling can be carried out.
- Tooth reconstruction
As you can see, these steps are similar to those of endodontics. However, the instruments you use will be key to ensuring the best treatment. If you want to know more about retreatment visit our article Root canal retreatment, simplifies endodontics.