Dental sensitivity is an acute pain, usually of short duration, that occurs in the teeth as a consequence of thermal, chemical, tactile or osmotic stimuli. It is estimated that approximately 40 million adults suffer from dental sensitivity.
Why it happens?
It occurs when the tooth enamel, that lines the dentin, wears out or the gums recede. Dentin is the layer that directly covers the nerve and is composed of a large number of pores or ducts that go from the outside of the tooth to the nerve. This means that when the enamel becomes thinner, the dentin is exposed and becomes much more sensitive to certain stimuli, thus causing pain in the tooth.
Some of the most common reasons why sensitivity occurs are:
• The retraction of the gums that can be caused by age or by brushing one's teeth very aggressively
• The consumption of acidic foods or beverages that can produce enamel erosion
• Brushing your teeth with a hard toothbrush or a very abrasive toothpaste
• Bruxism (grinding teeth)
• Diseases of the gums or tooth decay
• Worn or loose bridges, crowns or fillers that leave dentin exposed
How to solve it?
You can change habits like removing acids from your diet, changing your toothbrush to one with softer filaments or changing your toothpaste to a non-abrasive one. However, the most effective are the clinical treatments. Let us tell you a little bit about one in particular: Prevdent brand is a specialized brand in dental sensitivity and one that should be essential in your practice.
What is Prevdent and what solutions does it offer to your clinic?
It is a leading company specialized in the prevention, prophylaxis and teeth whitening sector. They are characterized by their study and specialization in nHAp (nano-hydroxyapatite). Hydroxyapatite is the mineral that forms 68% of the dentine and 97% of the enamel, so the nHAp is a reduced version that binds naturally to the hydroxyapatite that already exists in the teeth, penetrating the dental tubules , thus reducing sensitivity and remineralizing and repairing any imperfection of the tooth. In addition, it has been demonstrated that nHAp can be an effective alternative to fluoride, thus solving the great concern about its long-term toxicity.
DeSensiDent Dental sensitivity kit
• Designed to repair enamel and fill dental tubules
• Relieves hypersensitivity caused by cold, hot and bittersweet foods
• The patented nano-hydroxyapatite formula remineralizes the exposed Tubili and repairs the enamel
• It consists of 2 main components that when combined reduce sensitivities
• Its use is twice a day
• The sponge is used once a week in sensitive areas
Serum Prevdent Remineralizing Sponges (nHAp) Sponges with repair serum nHAp
• The serum serves as an alternative to fluorine.
• Helps rebuild enamel and dentin
• Provides patients with stronger, healthier and less sensitive teeth
• Perfect for the dental clinic
Remineralizing paste without fluorine
• Fluorine-free toothpaste
• Contains a unique combination of nano-hydroxyapatite and Xilitl
• Does not contain fluorine
• It is not abrasive
• Reconstructs the enamel, eliminates sensitivity and makes the surface of the enamel more smooth, white and shiny