If you are thinking about renewing your apex locator this article will provide you with some recommendations and help you decide which locator is best suited for you. The use of apex locators in endodontics is vital for proper dental treatment and it is necessary to choose the most appropriate one from the wide variety of models available on the market.
Apex locators are electronic instruments used in endodontics that measure the impedance, frequency and resistance of the surrounding material in order to locate the working length of the root canal to be endodontized. Correct determination of tooth length is a crucial factor for the success of endodontic therapy.
At Dentaltix we would like to tell you a little more about this dental appliance.
How do apex locators work?
For correct endodontics, it is necessary to measure the length from a coronary point taken as a reference to another one located at the apex of the root of the tooth; a process known in dentistry as conductivity measurement.
But why is conductometry so important in endodontics? Here are the most important factors that make conductometry the most important step in endodontics:
- Determines the extensions in order to insert the instruments into the root canal as well as the tooth extensions in which waste, tissue, etc. must be removed.
- The extensions it calculates, if they correct, allow us to obtain optimal results for the treatment.
- Reduces pain and discomfort in the patient.
Electronic apex locators use an electrical circuit through the patient's root canal and oral tissues to determine the location of the apical foramen. In order to set the ideal apical limit, it is necessary and unavoidable to perform conductometry. All apex locators have two electrodes, one connected to an endodontic instrument, the other connected to the patient's body. The electrical circuit is completed when the instrument is inserted into the root canal in the apical direction and touches the periodontal tissues.
Characteristics of apex locators:
The determination of length in Endodontics is one of the most complex and important steps in the treatment.
Electronic apex locators use an electrical circuit to determine the location of the apical foramen.
- There are different types of locators with different principles by which they can determine lengths. They are grouped in Generations: 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation.
- Modern electronic apex locators can determine lengths with accuracies greater than 90%, but have some limitations such as the need to minimize substances inside the duct, duct shape, etc..
- The use of apex locators does not have satisfactory results in immature teeth with open apexes.
- It is prudent not to use them in patients with cardiac pacemakers or similar.
- The use of these instruments is relatively easy, although it is necessary to learn and train before using them.
The choice of the apex locator for your dental clinic is very important, as you have to take into account the characteristics of each locator in order to choose the most convenient and suitable one. Here are some examples that you can find on our website:
-Morita's Dentaport ZX apex locator: This locator constantly provides accurate measurement results with acoustic signals for increased safety, and it shows the exact position of the file in the root canal.
- Color display
- Automatic calibration
- Precise results with exact file position
- Expandable with the Dentaport TriAuto OTR module
- Acoustic signals
- Price range: More than 1.000€
Dentsply Propex Pixi apex locator: This locator is characterized by its small size, which provides great comfort during use while being very reliable and accurate. It offers multi-frequency technology and dual file progression control.
- Reduced pocket size
- Multi-frequency technology
- Dual file progression control
- Reliable and accurate
- Price range: Less than 1.000€
WOODPEX III PRO LCD Apex Locator: This apex locator has a bright color LCD display that provides a sharp image and very precise color, clearly showing the endodontic file. It is automatically calibrated and offers an advanced multi-frequency ultrasound method. It works both with battery and plugged in. It is one of the most popular apex locators due to its great value for money.
- Bright color LCD display
- Works with either battery or plugged in
- Autoclavable instrument
- Tilting display
- Multifrequency ultrasound method
- Price/performance ratio
- Price range: Less than 500€
Sybronendo's Apex ID apex locator: The Apex ID is a compact, modern apex locator with continuous calibration that allows uninterrupted readings. It provides acoustic signals that help warn you when you have reached the "point zero".
- Color LCD display
- Continuous calibration
- Zero point marked with acoustic signals
- Highest accuracy
- Price range: More than 500€
At our online shop you will find a wide range of apex locators, all of which are designed to make your endodontic work easier. Its use is essential in dental clinics for this type of dental treatment and we want to offer the best materials and instruments available so that you can achieve great results in your treatments, while doing in the most comfortable way possible.