One of the aspects to take into account to work safely in the dental clinic, is the format of products. The most effective and safe format for dental materials is the single-use format, because thanks to its design they have greater control over the infection that can be generated, allowing in a much simpler way, the reduction of the risk of cross contamination.
In this post, we will talk about the advantages that offer these dental materials in single-dose and we will present some products. What single-dose products do you know?
Classification of products, according to their sterilization
First of all, it is important to know that multipurpose products can also be used safely, following the following sterilization guidelines of the Central American Infection Control Center (CDC):
- Critical products are those used to reach soft tissues or bone (surgical or periodontal instruments) and it is convenient that you always use them sterilized.
- Semi-critical products are those that may come into contact with mucous membranes or non-intact skin (mirrors, amalgam condensers, trays, among others). If in some cases this cannot be sterilized, it should be replaced by one that allows sterilization (heat), that is disposable or that can be disinfected at a high level.
- And in the non-critical products that only contact with intact skin (radiological equipment cones, pressure gauges, joints, etc.), we recommend continuous cleaning and if there is presence of dirt use an authorized hospital disinfectant.
Advantages of Single Dose Dental Products
Single-use products are safer and more efficient As we already mentioned before, the single-use products can bring three great advantages that will make your work easier:
- Improve safety: Products in single-use format are usually safer, because the use of disposable materials when used with a single patient, protect the same eliminating the risk of cross contamination.
- Improved work efficiency: This format allows time savings, since it avoids analyzing the cost of the material used, including the time invested in the use of the products for disinfection and sterilization equipment.
- Easy to use: the design of the single-dose dental products, is more practical. It is equipped with dispensers to facilitate processing, thus avoiding the use of stainless steel instruments that require disinfection and sterilization.
Single-dose materials for use in Prosthodontics
Materials with a single dose design will facilitate the activity in a wide field of dental work. In endodontic treatments, for example, at the time of cementation they can be very useful.
In the printing works it is also ideal to use materials in single-dose, in order to reduce the presence of any type of infection.
Astringent shrinkage paste
This astringent shrinkage paste, is a semi-critical product, according to the classification mentioned above. Besides, it incorporates a series of advantages:
- The use of this product in single-dose improves the infection control, against the retraction threads and the multipurpose pastes.
- Reduces the risk of bleeding because it performs a less traumatic procedure.
- It requires a time of permanence in the fabric of 2 minutes, while in the thread of the fabric is necessary between 5 and 15 minutes.
Green Intraoral Print Syringe
This product is classified within the group of semi-critical products.
- This syringe provides better infection control than cartridge dispensing due to its single-use design.
- In addition, the cartridge can be charged up to 12 hours before the procedure to improve the printing workflow.
- It offers high levels of precisionand ergonomic design .
Automix units: Pentamix Lite
This mixing machine belongs to the group of non-critical products within the classification.
- This Pentamix model has a clean dispensing system without contact with the impression material.
- Automatic mixing with this device is more hygienic than manual mixing.
- This type of self-mixing material facilitates infection control.
- You can also find on our website the Pentamix 3 model, which has the same advantages as the Pentamix Lite.
Position Tray is a semi-critical product, according to the American Center for Infection Control.
- First of all, these hygienic cuvettes are disposable single-use.
- They have a sufficiently rigid constitution to achieve precise prints, and also take care of eliminating the need for tray adhesive.
- This product provides a reduction in working time, unlike the use of reusable trays which require more time to ensure the sterility of the tray before each impression.
Self-adhesive Resin Cement RelyX Unicem Aplicap
RelyX Unicem Aplicap cement is a semi-critical product.
- This capsule cement, together with the elongation cannula, results in a simple and reliable cementation.
- This universal resin cement presents a simple elimination of the excess, optimal consistency and resistance against humidity.
- Single-dose capsules help to reduce cross-contamination between patients, especially when intra-oral application is required.
Single Use Materials for Restoration and Prevention
As we mentioned before, single-dose materials are used in a wide range of dental treatments, in addition to restoration work with composite or glass ionomer, where these types of materials help to reduce cross-contamination. Because unlike other formats, this one is only used on one patient and after its use it is eliminated, avoiding any kind of transmission in the next patient.
Furthermore, an adequate dispensing system also contributes to the disappearance of infections.
Scotchbond Universal Adhesive
This type of adhesive is a non-critical product.
- Scotchbond adhesive is the perfect adhesive solution for all types of restorations.
- Like other products, it reduces the occurrence of cross-contamination.
- As this material is single-dose, it prevents the evaporation of the solvent, as this can happen when the can is not properly closed or opened. In addition, evaporation makes the adhesives less effective and can lead to post-operative sensitivity and poor interface quality.
Filtek Composite in 3M Capsules
Filtek capsules are considered a semi-critical product.
- This material also contributes to the decreasing of cross-contamination, as the capsules are used on one patient only.
- Another advantage of the capsules is that this material is much easier to heat.
- It is important to take into account the design of the capsule tip, as it can make the material more viscous.
Glass Ionomer Cement Replacement Ketac Cem Aplicap
These replacement capsules are considered semi-critical products.
- Ketac Cem Aplicap capsules are single-use glass ionomers that provide a more hygienic mixing process and facilitate material savings.
- Known as the "Gold Standard" for conventional cementing.
Fluoride varnish Clinpro White Varnish
Clipro White Varnish is a semi-critical product as far as the brush is concerned, and on the other hand it is non-critical as far as the packaging is concerned.
- It is a desensitizing fluoride varnish containing a unique form of tricalcium phosphate.
- This fluoride varnish is presented in single-dose containers with single-use brushes, which helps to simplify the clinic's disinfection protocols.
- Furthermore, the product is mixed on the spot, so that no loss of properties occurs.
Recommendations for handling products of various uses:
Until now, we have been talking about single-use products. It is advisable to establish a reprocessing protocol for those materials that are used more than once, (fluid composite syringes, automix cements, sealants) and thus be able to guarantee a hygienic procedure. Here is a set of tips for handling multi-use materials:
- Use new disposable gloves on each syringe application to reduce the risk of cross contamination.
- After placing the disposable tip in the syringe, it is advisable to place a protective sleeve over the syringe.
- Avoid contact between the reusable parts and the patient's mouth.
- After using the syringe in the protective sleeve, remove the sleeve carefully so that the outside of the sleeve does not contaminate the syringe.
- Discard the protective sleeve used with the syringe tip and put the storage cap back on.
- It is advisable to clean the syringe with a disinfectant wipe for the time recommended on the label of the product.
- You must take into account the compliance with legal and hygienic regulations of dental clinics and hospitals during the use and reprocessing of the device.
Multipurpose products can also be used safely by carefully following the manufacturers' cleaning and disinfection protocols. However, the reduction of time and effort in the disinfection and sterilisation, accompanied by more hygienic and less expensive dental processes, greatly favours the increasingly common use of single-dose products in dental clinics. So much for today's article on single-dose consumables,. Tell us, did you know all the advantages that these products offer with this format? Which format do you prefer?
Remember, follow us in our social networks, where we will inform you about all the news. See you in the next post!