Dental air-polishers are a key part of the prophylaxis. Although it has been empirically demonstrated that dental aeropolishing is a very effective means of removing stains and bacterial plaque, this method has not been fully accepted by a large percentage of dentists. It is important that you keep up to date with developments in the field, as this type of tool has evolved a lot in recent years and currently on the market you will find air-polishers with a lower percentage of abrasion without reducing the effectiveness.
Whether you already perform this type of treatment in your clinic, or you are thinking about incorporating it, we recommend you read this article to discover the main differences between air polishers and be able to choose the most appropriate one.
Dental air polisher: how does it work?
The air polishers are devices that expel water under pressure, mixed with sodium bicarbonate, causing a soft polishing on the surface of the tooth without wearing it out excessively. Their use increases dental aesthetics, leaving a sensation of even whiter teeth, even though they are not a dental whitener.
What are the advantages of the dental air polisher in prophylaxis?
Although they have disadvantages due to their abrasion and dust dissipation, the main advantages of dental air polishers are :
- High efficiency and speed in oral cleaning.
- It improves the patient's dental aesthetics (whiter teeth feeling).
- Depth elimination of tartar and bacterial plaque.
- It doesn't wear out the enamel.
- Painless application without unpleasant sounds.
- Anti-inflammatory effect on gums and cleaning of areas that are difficult to reach.
- Great capacity to reduce subgingival biofilms in periodontal pockets.
Which is the dental air-polisher that suits your dental clinic the most?
We have divided the range of Air Polishers that we have in Dentaltix, in High, Medium and Economic Range. Below you will find all the information you will need to choose the one that best suits your clinic and, of course, your budget.
High-end dental air polishers:
Air-Flow Master: air-polisher for prophylaxis
Swiss made air polisher developed at the EMS Research Center with more than 100.000 hours of technical and clinical trial with the collaboration of the best dental professionals around the world.
- Intensive professional use.
- Ergonomic, high precision and easy to maintain.
- It has been designed to meet the highest standards of performance, safety and comfort.
- Eliminate the biofilm, the stains and the tartar.
- It cleans and polishes in a single procedure.
- It has camera, pedal, and water heating and purge system.
- Your interactive touch panel is simple and ergonomic.
Easy Jet Perio: Bicarbonate air polisher
One of the most recommended air polishers is the Mectron Easy Jet Perio.
- Designed for use with both baking soda and glycine powder. This allows you to choose the most suitable type of powder for each treatment.
- With adapters for Kavo, Sirona, W&H, Bienair, Midwest and Borden.
- It is used in those patients who cannot receive excessive doses of sodium.
- Allergies in patients in need of prophylactic treatment.
- To replace the glycine powder, visit Mectron Glycine Powder , a low-abrasive glycine powder for supra and subgingival cleaning, particularly suitable for the Easy Jet Perio air polisher.
RONDOflex™ plus 360: Abrasion air polisher
Abrasion air polisher with additional water access and reduced dust load. The dust particles move in an air stream at high speed and erode the tooth substance by means of kinetic energy.
- For prophylaxis: indicated in sub and supragingival applications .
- Highly efficient, light, accurate clean work.
- Flexibility thanks to the coupling MULTIflex: it couples and it's ready.
- With additional water supply.
- Turn 360º.
- Comfortable and light in the hand (200 grams).
- 2 cannulas included.
- Created with high quality materials: ceramic, hard metal, and steel.
Medium range air polishers:
AIR-FLOW® 3.0 Perio: EMS air polisher
Aeropulator suitable for subgingival use in bags deeper than 4 mm; simple and complete biofilm extraction with AIR-FLOW® PLUS and PERIO powders.
- Lightweight equipment for comfortable handling Mouthpiece with excellent ergonomics, fine and rotates 360º.
- Kavo connection.
- Easily removes biofilm in deep periodontal pockets up to 10 mm.
- For gum treatment and periimplantitis treatment .
- Light for hands and wrists during handling.
- Water pressure: 1 - 2,2 bar air pressure: 2,7 - 3,5 bar
AIR-FLOW Handy 3.0 PLUS: bicarbonate air polisher
This air polisher allows to perform sub and supragingival treatments with efficiency, safety and comfort.
- Unique and light design.
- Pocket depth of 4 mm.
- KaVo adapter.
- Capable of excluding biofilm from the subgingival zone.
- Due to its reduced size, an excellent vision of the area to be treated is obtained.
- Water pressure: 1 - 2,2 bar air pressure: 2,7 - 3,5 bar.
Prophyflex 4: Prophylaxis air polisher
All-in-one air polisher: suitable for all teeth and patients. It is light, has perfect balance and is designed to work comfortably. It fits individually and is suitable for long treatments.
- Indicated in sub and supragingival applications.
- More focused chorus, avoiding the dust cloud.
- Perfectly sterilizable.
- Perfect cleaning and exceptional care.
- 2 handles of different length to fit better.
- Available in different colors.
Low range air polishers:
AIR-FLOW ® Handy 2+ (KaVo connection)
This air-polisher favours the elimination of the dental plaque supragingival stains and the polishing of teeth.
- Contributes to the prevention of caries.
- It has an exceptional handle with easy to place connections.
- Very easy to disassemble and clean.
- High capacity powder chamber to guarantee a complete treatment.
- It is used with Air-Flow Classic and Air-Flow Comfort (sodium bicarbonate) powders
- For patients with sensitive gums and for regular maintenance it is used with Air-Flow Soft.
Prophyline is an air-driven dental polishing device that is specially designed for the needs of the dentist. It is a universal instrument as it is compatible with most popular quick coupling systems.
- 360º turn of the cannula
- Non-slip surface, even with WET gloves
- Easy maintenance and cleaning
- Compact for a comfortable and restful use
Prophy Plus Aeropulator for Multiflex
The air polisher for Multiflex is capable of removing dental plaque even in the most severe cases.
It polishes stains and improves dental aesthetics but without using tooth whiteners.
- The tip is autoclave 135º.
- Includes adapter.
- Grain size: up to 63 µm.
- Made of titanium.
What is the real benefit of the dental air-polisher in prophylaxis?
Aeropolishers are devices that expel water under pressure, mixed with bicarbonate of soda, causing a soft polishing on the surface of the tooth without wearing it out excessively. Its application increases dental aesthetics leaving a sensation of even whiter teeth, despite not being a dental whitener.
Although they have their disadvantages due to their abrasion and dust dissipation, the main advantages of dental air polishers are:
- High efficiency and speed in oral cleaning
- Deep elimination of tartar and bacterial plaque
- It doesn't wear out the enamel
- Painless application without unpleasant sounds
- Anti-inflammatory effect on gums .
Have you ever used any of the mentioned in the article? What do you think? We hope that this article about dental air polishers has been of your interest, if you liked it, share it in your social networks and do not forget to follow us. If you need information about products or your have any doubt, we will be pleased to help you. See you soon!.