If you are thinking of renewing your apex locator in your dental clinic, from this article we help you and propose a few examples for you to decide which locator best suits you. The use of apical locators in endodontics is vital to make a correct dental treatment and it is necessary to choose the most appropriate from the wide variety that exists in the market.
Apex locators are electronic instruments used in endodontics that measure the impedance, frequency and resistance of the surrounding material to locate the working length of the root canal to be endodonted. Correct determination of tooth length is a crucial factor for the success of endodontic therapy.
At Dentaltix we tell you a little more about this dental appliance.
How do apex locators work?
For a correct endodontics, it is necessary to measure the length between a coronary point that we take as reference, to another located in the apex of the tooth; process known in dentistry as conductometry. But But why is conductometry so important in endodontics? Here are the most important factors that make conductometry the most important step in endodontics:
- It determines the extensions to be able to introduce the instruments into the canal as well as the extensions of the tooth in which it is necessary to eliminate residues, tissues...among others.
- The extensions that it calculates, if they are correct, lead to a job well done with optimal results for the treatment.
- It reduces pain and discomfort in the patient.
Electronic apex locators use an electrical circuit, traversing the root canal and the patient's oral tissues, to determine the location of the apical foramen. To set the ideal apical limit, conductometry is necessary and unavoidable. All apex locators have two electrodes, one connected to an endodontic instrument, the other connected to the patient's body (on the lip or an electrode in his hand). The electrical circuit is completed when the instrument is inserted into the root canal in an apical direction and touches the periodontal tissues.
Characteristics of apex locators in dentistry:
- Length Determination in Endodontics is one of the most complex and important steps in treatment.
- Electronic apex locators use an electrical circuit to determine the location of the apical foramen.
- There are different types of locators with different principles by which they can determine lengths. They are grouped in Generations: 1st generation, 2nd generation and 3rd generation.
- Modern electronic apical locators can determine lengths with precisions greater than 90%, but they present some limitations such as the need to minimize substances inside the duct, the shape of the duct, etc.
- The use of apex locators does not have satisfactory results in immature teeth with open apices.
- It is prudent not to use them in patients with cardiac pacemakers or similar.
- The use of these instruments is relatively easy although it is necessary to learn and train before using them.
The choice of the apex locator for your dental practice is very important, as you have to take into account the characteristics of each locator in order to choose the most convenient and suitable one. Here are some examples that you can find on our website:
Dentaport Root ZX apex locator by Morita:
The Morita Dentaport Root ZX Locator constantly provides accurate measurement results with acoustic signals for greater safety and displays the exact position of the file in the root canal.
- Color Display
- Automatic calibration
- Precise results with exact file position
- Expandable with Dentaport TriAuto OTR module
- Acoustic signals
- Price range: More than 1.000€
Dentsply Propex Pixi apex locator:
The Dentsply Propex Pixi, apex locator is characterized by its small size, which provides great comfort during use, being very reliable and accurate. It offers multi-frequency technology and dual control of file progression.
- Reduced pocket size
- Multi-frequency technology
- Dual file progression control
- Reliable and precise
- Price range: Less than €1,000/li>
WOODPEX III LCD apex locator
The WOODPEX III LCD, Apex Locator has a bright color LCD screen that offers a sharp image and very precise color, clearly showing the endodontic file. It calibrates automatically and offers an advanced multi-frequency ultrasound method. It works both with battery and plugged in. It is one of the most popular apex locators due to its value for money.
- Bright color LCD display
- Runs on either battery or plugged in
- Autoclavable instrument
- Tilting screen
- Multifrequency ultrasound method
- Value for money
- Price range: Less than 500€
Apex ID apex locator by Sybronendo:
The Apex ID is a compact and modern apex locator with continuous calibration that allows uninterrupted readings. It offers acoustic signals that help to warn when the "zero point" has been reached.
- Color LCD display
- Continuous Calibration
- Zero point marked with acoustic signals
- Highest precision
- Price range: More than 500€
In our online shop you can see all available apex locators, which will facilitate your work in endodontic treatments. Their use is essential in dental clinics for this type of dental treatment and we want to provide you with the best materials and instruments so that you can do the right job with your patients, and that you work as comfortably as possible. Fill in the form on the right to contact us and offer personalised advice.